Hampshire Independent Equality Forum
Working to combat discrimination; support and celebrate Hampshire’s diversity of culture and experience
The Hampshire Independent Equality Forum (HIEF) unites individuals, organisations and networks from a range of communities and special interest groups – including, but not restricted to, those relating to race, disability, gender, transgender, age, sexual orientation, and religion and belief.
Part of the Hampshire Diversity Support Project, the Forum is led by the HIEF Action Group (that is structured to reflect Hampshire’s diversity) with support from Community Action Hampshire. We also work in partnership with public and private sector service providers.
We aim to:
1. Influence and improve service provision and communication between diverse communities and service providers (eg charities, councils, NHS, police).
2. Enable and empower diverse individuals and communities - help people to help themselves.
3. Raise awareness - highlight issues facing diverse individuals/communities and improve understanding of the needs, numbers and distribution of diverse communities in Hampshire.
4. Network diverse individuals and communities in Hampshire to promote inclusion and present a united voice to challenge inequality and share knowledge and best working practices.
5. Be the first ‘port of call’ for equality and diversity matters in the county.
6. Encourage representation of diverse individuals on Local Strategic Partnerships/other strategic partnerships across the county (eg Hampshire Senate) and inform them on issues of equality and diversity.
The Forum's Action Plan for 2011-2012 can be accessed by clicking here.
We hold regular events around the county that include speakers, workshops and opportunities to network with others.
HIEF Jobs e-bulletin
In addition to the HIEF e-bulletin we are now also circulating a Jobs e-bulletin with details of various opportunities for those from diverse communities in Hampshire of which the forum is made aware. If you have any vacancies and opportunities for inclusion please contact Madeline Close
Read the first edition of our HIEF Jobs e-bulletin here:
Read our newsletter, Equality Matters! for some of the many activities the Forum is presently engaged in:
The Forum Respect Charter outlines the key values of the Forum and how members are expected to treat each other at Forum events and via other methods of communication.
Terms of Reference
The HIEF Terms of Reference provide a framework within which the Forum conducts its business.
Membership is FREE
Full membership is open to Hampshire-based diverse individuals, voluntary and community groups and organisations, and councils for voluntary service. Full members can vote at any formal meetings including the Annual General Meeting and nominate candidates for election to the Action Group.
Associate membership is for any public sector organisation as well as individuals, groups and organisations based outside the 11 Hampshire districts. The views of associate members are represented at Forum meetings; however, associate members are not eligible to vote or nominate Action Group candidates.
Becoming a member couldn’t be easier - simply download the PDF or Word documents below and send to the address or email on the form.
If you would like to discuss the work of the Forum further or need the information presented in these pages in any other format please contact Liz Donegan on 01962 857359 or via e-mail.
The Hampshire Independent Equality Forum is part of the Big Lottery funded Hampshire Diversity Support Project (2009-2012).